diy seed compost

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• diy seed compost

Hello, does anyone have any favourite recipes for making your own seed & cutting compost.
    cheers

Whilst I make my own for potting on plants, I always buy in seed compost as its very precise with its nutrient content etc and this is the time you really need to "get it right".

Others way well be able to enlighten you.

Comment

piglet what is your recipe for home made compost. im looking to make my own with coir block, loam, sharp sand and growmore.
      my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

No way would I even try to make my own seed compost. It must be sterile, balanced and with not too much nutrient content. You can germinate seeds on damp cotton wool, kitchen towels, etc, but from the point of germination they need feeding in precise quantities. I always buy in seed compost, or use multi-purpose diluted with coir, sand or vermiculite.

Comment

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
          piglet what is your recipe for home made compost. im looking to make my own with coir block, loam, sharp sand and growmore.
          I personally think you've got all the right ingredients apart from growmore! Substitute blood,fish and bone meal for the growmore and you have the basic ingredients for all the John Innes formulaes which you could google for!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I had thought about making my own seed compost after acquiring packets of strawberry seeds that specified vermiculite (& I want to make sure the strawberry germinate)....otherwise I had never bothered with seed compost other than multi-purpose compost or homemade compost that didn't feel too heavy with soil for seed sowing.

I read somewhere that seed compost is a mixture of peat, sand, steriled loam (which I thought I might sieve with kitchen sieve and heated in oven ) and add to it superphosphate that is supposed to help with root growth. But I think I won't bother as most of my veggies have been fine with normal compost except for stuffs like strawberry that I don't feel too confident.
            Food for Free

Comment

Thanks for the info, I think I'll stick to buying in ,as I have alot of seeds to get through next year.

Comment

I use 2 parts sieved allotment compost, 1 part leaf mould, 1 part sharp sand and blood fish and bone to make mine.

Comment

humm ...might give it a go with some of the seeds
                  cheers

Comment

Originally posted by hawthorns View Post
                    Sorry to be dumb, but what is coir block and where do you get it from?
                    Loam would be garden soil?
                    Cheers, Sue.

Comment

Originally posted by suee View Post
                      Sorry to be dumb, but what is coir block and where do you get it from?
                      Loam would be garden soil?
                      Cheers, Sue.
                      Coir is coconut husks methinks, a waste product from a renewable source! Most composts now use coir instead of peat.
                      Any garden centre should have coir in either a block form that you soak before use or bagged coir!
                      Loam is good garden soil (preferably, but not necessarily, sterilised!)
                      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

the coir i got hold of came in block form about the size of a house brick. tried loads of garden centres but none stocked it so had to go on ebay.
                        my plot march 2013http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvzqRS0_hbQ

hindsight is a wonderful thing but foresight is a whole lot better

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
                          Coir is coconut husks methinks, a waste product from a renewable source!

But not as green as you think as transporting it from the far east is not sustainable. Try reclaimed peat that does not involve digging up peat bogs, about 4000 miles less for it to travel.

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                            But not as green as you think as transporting it from the far east is not sustainable. Try reclaimed peat that does not involve digging up peat bogs, about 4000 miles less for it to travel.
                            So, given that it's not necessarily 'green', is it (or is re-claimed peat) any cheaper in large quantities? If not, maybe we should stick to buying in seed compost as originally suggested?

Comment

Originally posted by pigletwillie View Post
                              Do you mean to tell me you have no coconut palms in Leicestershire piglet?

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X