Composting wool felt

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Composting wool felt

Every month or two I get a prescription for insulin and lots of happy pills etc. Since the last of my three well stocked, promptly dispensing, chemists in Rugby went down the chute, I've been getting my scrips online.

The insulin comes with an ice pack insulated with a bit of rough wool felt 1 x 30 x 70 cm in size. It's a shame to chuck it out. I'm guessing that if I used it, as is, as an insulating mulch, It'd get a crop of weeds embedded in it. Can I compost it, either in the normal (slow) compost bin or in the worm bin?
    Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

I've used wool felt as a base for a veg bed, instead of cardboard - it rotted and disappeared within a year. This was garden felt from Chimney Sheep

Comment

It's definitely just wool, Mark? No other fibres or chemical treatment you might not want in the garden? If just wool, that would be fantastic.

Comment

^^^^ good point Snoop - worth enquiring about Mark.

I have a few sheets which were given me from my son who’s dog had to be on a special diet before she was put down.
        Interesting thread!

I’ve noticed over here that some things now arrive packed in ‘Quavers’ made from puffed rice apparently - or puffed peanut or something as opposed to polystyrene.
        Might look into that for composting. Obviously the wool mats wouldn’t readily blow away as ground covering.

Hope you get a positive reply from the suppliers!
        Last edited by Nicos; 12-04-2024, 08:47 AM.
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

As long as it's actual wool, it should rot down just fine. It's hair, so it takes a bit longer than a lot of plant fibres, but it still goes. Wool makes a good mulch, too (although you can get weeds germinating in it, as you say).
          Since wool is hair, and therefore mostly keratin, a protein, it is very high in nitrogen. But since it rots so slowly, there's no risk of this harming the plants from excess nitrogen. It's basically a very slow release fertiliser.

Comment

Thanks for the comments, all.

I've just got to work out what to do with it now. I think I'll either chop it up and put it in the compost heap or, more likely, chop it up and use it when I rebuild the raised be later on this year.
            Location:- Rugby, Warwckshire on Limy clay (within sight of the Cement factory)

Comment

You could try using it as capillary mating, if it works it would save a lot of watering
              it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X