Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What happens if I only put grass in my bin?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also inherited a dalek fullmof slimy green smelly sludge (ie pure grass clippings).

A year on I spread the compost I had made from it on the garden - was well chuffed I stuck it out! So was worth the moaning and grumbling my OH had to put up with from me

I mix a lot of our chook poo and shavings in with mine.

Comment

Scientific observation so far has proved that grass clippings alone becomes rather warm but not much else seems to occur. Slimy mess has not yet occurred but I have now added browns in the form of much cardboard, shredded paper and hay soiled with guinea pig poop. Bin nearly full; will leave alone for some time apart from occasional turning. Second bin will now be target for a more measured waste input. I purchased Green Guides: Compost, by Rachelle Strauss. It was only £1.99 from The Works . Now I understand browns and greens and the carbon nitrogen ratio.

Thanks for your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
        It is possible to make compost using only grass clippings .
        But first of all you have to forget all you ever learnt about composting i make a hell of a lot of compost using mainly grass mowings lots of it and i am learning all the time .
        First you put cliippings in compost bin and walk about on it if possible and then cover it up this helps to get it cooking and when you add to it take the cover of and put the stuff on the heap and walk about again on the heap keep doing this and keep the air out of it and you will have good compost....jacob
        I might try this in my second dalek type bin. Why all the treading down? Surely the air is necessary because of the decomposition process? What length of time is needed for compost made this way?

Ta.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe View Post
          I might try this in my second dalek type bin. Why all the treading down? Surely the air is necessary because of the decomposition process? What length of time is needed for compost made this way?

Ta.
          The clue is in the second line if you do not forget all you have learnt you will not make compost with grass cuttings..jacob
          What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
          Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X