What's your top tip for pest control

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's your top tip for pest control

Just thought I would ask you your top tip for controlling garden pests?

I use nematodes to control slugs in my brassicas tunnels, I have tried the grow your nematodes method but found it useless.

What's you top tip?

Gentle word of warning.....any mention of cruelty towards any wildlife may result in actions being taken against the poster
    Mod with attitude!

Yes, me too! Without nemaslug, I don't think I'd be growing much veg, I have that many slugs here. Nemaslug takes the numbers down dramatically, and at home I treat every year, but on the plot I don't have to do it every year.
    https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Call them rude names?

Actually, I don't do much at all. Never used nema-things.
      I suppose my top tip is - it happens, don't worry about it.
      A Chicken walks with small steps. Be more Chicken
      https://gardenchicken.blogspot.com/
      @realveggiechicken

Comment

I must be fortunate as I don't have a huge problem with bugs or slugs, maybe move further north? When I lived in England I found beer traps worked...………………..caught me every time.

Comment

I generally let the pests and predators fight it out among themselves. My garden is too small to have much of a problem. Any slugs I find are re-located to the dalek.
          Endless wonder.

Comment

Well it's not such a good idea to use snapper traps in the green house....or perhaps I shouldn't go in there in slippers

I always have trouble with mice/voles etc I cant use the greenhouse to start peas or beans off ever.
            I get a lot of Woodlice that nibble seedlings- I just squish everything I see

I try to plant extras or cover over stuff at night with trays / fleece etc.

Comment

We have voles and field mice galore, but that's part of the fun of being in the countryside. Hibou (cat) eats about 20 a day and we have plenty of owls and I keep thinking we should put up a couple of owlboxes.
              The one thing I do actively do against pests is use fleece over my carrot bed. It stays there most if the year and certainly makes a difference as well as bringing the plants on with the added warmth.
              We also put fleece over the brassicas to try and keep off the butterflies. I don't like netting anymore as we've accidentally trapped birds by their feet and hedgehogs before now.

Soapy water on greenfly and blackfly does help if caught early, but I prefer Scarlet's 'squish method'
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
                Well it's not such a good idea to use snapper traps in the green house....or perhaps I shouldn't go in there in slippers
                I tried them and caught a frog , so stopped. Also worried about catching robins, which often come in. You could try them in boxes. I might do that as I would like some Cape gooseberries this year.

Comment

Originally posted by burnie View Post
                  When I lived in England I found beer traps worked...………………..caught me every time.
                  Goodness, those are some large beer traps. Either that or you're much smaller than I imagined.

Meanwhile, I'm a squisher and, on occasions (mealy aphids), a powderer. Predatory wasps do a good job here as well.
                  Living in north-east Spain, where the sun is too hot, the rain too torrential, the hail too big, the wind too windy and the snow too deep.

Comment

I spray greenfly with garlic /ecover dish liquid but that's about all I do apart from rehoming slugs. Then use netting for larger pests like cats and pigeons.

Comment

I also use nematodes on all raised beds and big tubs. We do have more than our fair share of slugs, not that many snails though.
                      I use ladybird larvae in the chilli tunnel for aphids.
                      Companion planting to encourage more natural predators.
                      Bunny and deer proof fencing.
                      Anything else that comes into the garden for a feed, I share my crop with them.
                      https://m.facebook.com/Isle-of-Mull-...9854614879285/

Comment

Like Bren I use water that has garlic steeping in it along with the eco soap, I spray all my cabbages with it and get less damage from the butterflys, for slugs I use my home made nematode drench and mice seem to take care of the snails as there are a number of empty shells around the garden and in the greenhouse I have one of those sonic repeller things plugged in, I was a bit sceptical about it when I first got it but it does appear to work, I also think the garlic spray keeps the slugs of some of the veg
                        it may be a struggle to reach the top, but once your over the hill your problems start.

Member of the Nutters Club but I think I am just there to make up the numbers

Comment

Cats.... Cats are my primary pest and nothing keeps the wee beggars out bar barrier methods! You name it and I've tried it... Even tried the cocktail sticks (I know how evil that sounds but it didn't stop them) and my garden looked like it had been designed by Vlad the Impaler that year.

For Aphids I use the drop of dish soap in 45-50° water spray and that works a treat on my currants. Must try adding the garlic though! Slugs get the old pick and squish and my kids are pretty good at bringing me snails which we collect and re-home in some scrubland nearby
                          There are no gardening mistakes, only learning curves

No matter how big the job or overwhelming the task, a good dose of sheer obstinacy and bloody-mindedness should see you through

Comment

Planting flowers to attract beneficial insects which will kill pest insects for you.

https://permaculturenews.org/2014/10...icial-insects/

Comment

I pop slugs I find into my compost bin but I’m assuming that’s a bad thing if they stay there and breed isn’t it?

Kind Regards.............Rob

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X