Tomato stem rot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tomato stem rot

Today I discovered that the stem on one of my Bloody Butcher tomatoes had completely rotted halfway up the plant. It has basically collapsed. Presumably a fungus, though it doesn't quite look like late blight, and it would be rather early for that.

Googling brought up Didymella stem rot, is someone able to confirm this diagnosis? It's not something I've come across.

Plant has been pulled and disposed of, and so far the others don't appear affected.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20240627_180640584.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	2581052

To be honest, I'd say that looks a lot like blight, if it weren't for the fact that none of the leaves seem infected. It doesn't make any sense for the stem to be so badly infected that it snaps before the leaves even show anything at all.

Comment

Originally posted by ameno View Post
      To be honest, I'd say that looks a lot like blight, if it weren't for the fact that none of the leaves seem infected. It doesn't make any sense for the stem to be so badly infected that it snaps before the leaves even show anything at all.
      Yes it's really weird. The rest of the plant looked so healthy that I was almost tempted to just cut off below the affected stem and train up a side branch...

I've had blight occasionally before, but never before August. And then the stems never rotted so badly so quickly that they just snapped before I could bin them.

Comment

I'm no expert on these matters, but might it be blackleg? I remember it being mentioned here a long time ago as affecting someone's tomato plants.

Comment

Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post
          I'm no expert on these matters, but might it be blackleg? I remember it being mentioned here a long time ago as affecting someone's tomato plants.
          I don't know whether blackleg affects tomato plants or not, but if it does it would be at soil level like in potatoes, as it needs the extra humidity it would get down there.

Comment

Some info and pictures here (from the States): https://ipm.ifas.ufl.edu/pdfs/Pythium.pdf

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X