Anyone got blight yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone got blight yet?

So far we are ok, but with all this rain and warmer weather, I guess it’s just a matter of time….

( Just a heads up really for you to keep an eye on your toms and spuds)
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

My maincrop potato plants have started to get blight now. I removed the worst affected leaves to try and prolong the life of the plants a bit; I'd like them to at least make it to August before I need to cut them down completely.
    The purple ones seem to be resisting it better than the roasting potatoes.

Comment

The slugs are eating the leaves and stems so struggling to get far with them.
      Northern England.

Comment

No blight, but my Maris Pipers are now starting to die back so will need lifting in max 2 weeks. I think I need to plant them a bit later.

I plant my earlies on St Patricks Day or first weekend after (purely so I can remember when they went in) then the maincrops over the next couple of weekends.
        Last edited by Vince G; 22-07-2024, 11:19 PM.
        Are y'oroight booy?

Comment

Mine are still ok but my neighbour ( downwind fortunately) has had his whole crop devistated .
          "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Just a bit of early blight on some that were given to me. They came from a grocer who found them all chitted in sacks before he could sell them. The sort that rarely does more than make the leaves look scruffy.
            I have a guest plant that is died back in the edge of a strawberry patch that needs lifting. Two others near to it came up later and are still green. They are purple skinned with white flesh and were OK when everything else got blight inside and out. They are no good for chips but are fine for everything else. No idea what the variety is.
            Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

I think I've got blight, its not on every plant, yet. It's my first year growing maincrops, they've only been in 15 weeks. I only noticed it today. I'm guessing I need to cut off all the tops and be grateful if it hasn't spread to the tubers. I was really looking forward to these, they're Caledonian rose.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blight.jpg
Views:	1363
Size:	926.2 KB
ID:	2582447
              Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
              Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

That looks like early blight.
                It rarely affects tubas.
                Near Worksop on heavy clay soil

Comment

Originally posted by Plot70 View Post
                  That looks like early blight.
                  It rarely affects tubas.
                  Oooh, that's the best news! Thanks Plot!
                  Nestled somewhere in the Cambridgeshire Fens. Good soil, strong winds and 4 Giant Puffballs!
                  Always aim for the best result possible not the best possible result

Forever indebted to Potstubsdustbins

Comment

I've got a few leaves like that as well Peanut. Good to know it won't affect my harvest.
                    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X