Hair cuttings to discourage slug

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hair cuttings to discourage slug

I cut my husbands hair for him every couple of months, and usually the trimmings go off to the council compost bin (don't have space for my own). I've read several places over the past couple of years about using trimmings of short hair to discourage slugs from eating your plants by spreading it down around on the soil, evidently the slugs do not enjoy the texture. I tried about everything else last year to keep them away with little success, so when I planted out my broad beans this year I thought I'd try the hair method.. and it's actually worked wonders! In one large container I have four beans surrounded by a good layer of hair about a two inches+ radius from each stem and two beans on open soil. The ones in open soil have a good number of munched leaves, and the one's surround by hair are untouched. Obviously it's still a bit early in slug season, but I was really amazed by the results. I really didn't think it would work.

If you don't cut hair at home I'm sure you could get bags of it from a local barbershop. I don't know how it will work on open ground, but well worth trying if you container garden (makes an interesting mulch if nothing else!).

Originally posted by Gwen11ian View Post
    I cut my husbands hair for him every couple of months, and usually the trimmings go off to the council compost bin (don't have space for my own). I've read several places over the past couple of years about using trimmings of short hair to discourage slugs from eating your plants by spreading it down around on the soil, evidently the slugs do not enjoy the texture. I tried about everything else last year to keep them away with little success, so when I planted out my broad beans this year I thought I'd try the hair method.. and it's actually worked wonders! In one large container I have four beans surrounded by a good layer of hair about a two inches+ radius from each stem and two beans on open soil. The ones in open soil have a good number of munched leaves, and the one's surround by hair are untouched. Obviously it's still a bit early in slug season, but I was really amazed by the results. I really didn't think it would work.

If you don't cut hair at home I'm sure you could get bags of it from a local barbershop. I don't know how it will work on open ground, but well worth trying if you container garden (makes an interesting mulch if nothing else!).
    i wonder if dog hair would work, i have a short haried collie, and our house has drifts of it daily!!!

worth a try
    Vive Le Revolution!!!
    'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
    Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I moult continuously like a long haired cat (way too much hair). Perhaps if I put it in the blender...

OH has very little to spare but son could be a ready source if he ever lets me near it again

Comment

I'm using a product called slug wool which is basically sheeps wool made into pellets. I would imagine it works in the same way as hair. It apparently irritates the slugs as they try and move over it. The slug wool biodegrades but does not break down in rain. I will be interested to see if it works, put the first lot on today.
        AKA Angie

Comment

Hair cuttings to discourage slugs
          yes slugs do not like having their hair cut
          Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
          Independent Minds

Comment

I never knew about this. Sounds good! What with cutting our own hair (although Im trying not to do mine at the mo!), Dexter the dog and the two cats, we have plenty of hair to put down. Next time I empty the hoover...................
            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
              I never knew about this. Sounds good! What with cutting our own hair (although Im trying not to do mine at the mo!), Dexter the dog and the two cats, we have plenty of hair to put down. Next time I empty the hoover...................

Crikey everyones gonna end up bald
              AKA Angie

Comment

i have a german shepherd and when i brush him in the garden i take about a carrier bag of hair off at a time. there is loads of hairs all over my garden - i was thinking of stuffing the soft stuff in a bird box but dont know if they'd appreciate it or use it??
                Serene she stand amid the flowers,
                And only count lifes sunny hours,
                For her dull days do not exist,
                Evermore the optimist

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria26 View Post
                  i have a german shepherd and when i brush him in the garden i take about a carrier bag of hair off at a time. there is loads of hairs all over my garden - i was thinking of stuffing the soft stuff in a bird box but dont know if they'd appreciate it or use it??
                  When we clipped out dog, there was loads of hair. I didn't manage to scoop all of it up and later saw some birds come down for it
                  AKA Angie

Comment

awwwww i'd love to see that!!

Unfortunatly I left it out there for ages but the birds might be to scared to come into my garden,,, maybe because of the dog and 2 cats!!
                    Serene she stand amid the flowers,
                    And only count lifes sunny hours,
                    For her dull days do not exist,
                    Evermore the optimist

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                      Crikey everyones gonna end up bald
                      Yes, but think of them proudly holding the world's biggest carrots next to their stubbly heads.

Not sure it'll work with horse/cat hair. Possibly not stubbly enough. Worth a try, though!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X