Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this Couch Grass?

Hi there

The council rotovated my new allotment before handing me the keys and there is plenty of vegetation that has been chopped up into the soil. I'm not sure if there is couch grass in there or not but would be grateful if anyone could tell me if it is couch grass or not. It feels soft to the touch, almost furry. I can't really see what the roots are like but I'm going to nip over at lunchtime to see if I can dig some fresh bits up.

Thanks
    Attached Files
    RtB x

yes it is, I reckon. The roots will tell you http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...OMHl-QaMyqnBDQ
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 19-10-2009, 11:17 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I would say yes.... we have loads of the stuff... it's horrible!

We have a strategy of digging up what we can, weedkilling what we can't get out, then burning the dead stuff. We've also found that covering over with plastic/cardboard etc weakens it quite a lot and it's easier to pull out...

Comment

Oh poo
        RtB x

Comment

Originally posted by RobintheBobin View Post
          Oh poo
          Don't let it get you down! Our entire patch is COVERED in couch grass, mares tail and bindweed (and don't even ask about the docks and nettles)... despite clearing beds, we have found bindweed growing up pea supports, potato plants and raspberry canes!!

We just pull it/hoe it out and carry on! Once a year (this weekend just gone), we do a huge clear out and burn of stuff and start again.

If you worry/panic about it, you lose focus on the whole idea of growing your own! Just cover what you're not using over, and deal with it when you come to it!

Comment

Its not that bad if you look at it like this... Its been freshly rotovated which will weaken it significantly. Using a fork and rake, go through the soil and remove as much of the grass and root fragments as possible. Then dump/spread a load of manure on it and cover it over with a few layers of cardboard and weigh down. Leave it for a few months, remove and plant! Make sure you use a good covering of cardboard as it will gradually rot down. Alternatively do as above but cover with cardboard then plastic so that no rain or light gets through. Leave it a few months, it'll be dark and very dry and the grass won't live through till Spring.
            My 2014 No Dig Allotment
            My 2013 No Dig Allotment
            My 2012 No Dig Allotment
            My 2011 No Dig Allotment

Comment

We steam up our lottie after a good rainfall as it makes it easier to get couch grass roots up - as we have clay up there and if the soil is dry the roots break.

There's worse things to have...and if it has been rotavated at least the roots are near the surface for the first few months so get it up whilst you can

Comment

Yeah, what the others said - don't panic, it is easier to get out in a lot of ways than other weeds. It rarely goes as deep as dandelion and dock, it's definately easier to get out than horsetail or bindweed. It might be a pain for a while if the ploughing has chopped the roots up a bit, but get out what you can and cover with cardboard and muck, and hopefully it will see off a lot of it. I always find it comes out better if you dig with a fork rather than a spade - it brings it out like spaghetti rather than chopping it up with the spade.

Comment

Awww Grapes you have made me feel a lot better I am going to try and get up there over the next few weeks and dig/fork as much as possible...at least now I don't feel like I need to do it this minute, right now!

Do I compost the grass or burn it?

Thanks
                  RtB x

Comment

Hi RtB - it tends to grow if you try composting it (found this out the hard way) - a couple of ways of dealing with it - dry it out and burn it - use the ash; soak it and make a liquid compost of it (not this time of year though). I put mine in the green waste that goes to the council as their composting process uses such high temperatures that it kills it - too difficult to replicate on the lottie.
                    Whooops - now what are the dogs getting up to?

Comment

Originally posted by Jeanied View Post
                      soak it and make a liquid compost of it (not this time of year though).
                      Jeanie means you shouldn't be feeding your plants (what plants?) in the winter.

However you can definitely fill up a bin or bucket with your couch roots, cover with water and a lid, and then use the resulting stinky liquid on your compost heap as an accelerator.

Waste not, want not
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X