fan trained fruit

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fan trained fruit

I am currently planning my fruit/veg plot in my back garden. I have a south facing fence and west facing one that I want to plant fruit trees along. Just at the planning stage just now so need to know how wide the bed will have to be. Plan to plant apples, gages and plums.

The width of the bed can be whatever you want, within reason (say: minimum 1ft either side of the fans/espaliers).
    The quality and depth of the soil would make the most difference; in better/deeper soil, plants tend to need less roots to find the water/nutrients required.
    Also you will find that certain varieties/rootstocks will cope better with nearby competition; for example: the M27 "very dwarf" apple rootstock would struggle if planted with other plants competing nearby, whereas the MM111 "vigorous" rootstock is so efficient at competing for water and nutrients that it would barely notice the effects of nearby competition.
    Likewise: the variety grafted to the rootstock can produce so much growth hormone that it "supercharges" even a dwarf rootstock. Bramley would be a good example of a variety which can "supercharge" a dwarf rootstock (Bramley on a strong rootstock will have a similar effect on a vigorous rootstock and will make an abnormally large and fast-growing apple tree).

The smaller the bed and the closer the fans/espaliers are planted, the less room for root growth (or, rather, the roots will go deeper into less fertile soil) and, with less ability of the roots to find water/nutrients, the slower the fans/espaliers will grow and the earlier they are likely to start cropping (competition is a great way to induce cropping; trees will fruit more and better as their ability to grow is diminished).

I would say: design your plot with maximum efficiency of all the crops in mind and see how the fans/espaliers could be fitted in.

Comment

thanks for that. I have a lot to learn and am conscious that fruit trees will be permanent and need to be planned well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X