Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can i put on my compost?

Hi
    very new to this and got allotment last weekend. In a bit of a state but cleared all the weeds and nettles out of compost bin today. Now we are not sure what to put into it. Obviously know about peelings etc but now sure what else. May be a very stupid question but are used tea bags any good??
    Any advice would be much appreciated.

Hello Sarah

here's what i put in mine

teabags
    coffe grounds (your local coffee shop may give you some)
    weeds
    grass cuttings (not too much at once)
    ripped up egg boxes
    egg shells
    manure (our chickens provide that)
    any uncooked non meat food stuff
    small amounts of shredded paper
    and I know it sound a bit gross but urine helps if you get caught short at the allotement (mens only I'm told-not sure why)
    someone a little more experienced may add or remove some of the above I'm sure.

I hope this helps, Rooster
    "My Pink Half Of The Drainpipe Seperates Me From You"

Comment

Hi Sarah, welcome to the vine
      The only thing I would add is, try to aviod perenial weed roots (nettles, couch grass etc), unless you heat them first, as in down to ash, as the heat in the compost bin rarely gets hot enough to destroy them and you don't want to put 'em back after working so hard to dig 'em out.
      Also, if you have a diseased plant on the lottie, burn it rather than throw it on the compost bin or you may infect your compost.
      Finally, rip the tea bag in half or, when you come to use the compost, it will still be there and they make lousy tea after several months
      http://norm-foodforthought.blogspot.com/

If it ain't broke, don't fix it and if you ain't going to eat it, don't kill it

Comment

Originally posted by Rooster View Post
        Hello Sarah

here's what i put in mine

teabags
        coffe grounds (your local coffee shop may give you some)
        weeds
        grass cuttings (not too much at once)
        ripped up egg boxes
        egg shells
        manure (our chickens provide that)
        any uncooked non meat food stuff
        small amounts of shredded paper
        and I know it sound a bit gross but urine helps if you get caught short at the allotement (mens only I'm told-not sure why)
        someone a little more experienced may add or remove some of the above I'm sure.
        The problem I find with tea bags and egg shells is that they don't break down well. I tear up my tea bags into small pieces and for the egg shells, I grind them using pestle or mortar or you could put in plastic bag and bash them with a kitchen rolling pin but you obviously need to collect them first otherwise too much hassle doing in small qty. I also cut up my kitchen vegetable waste into smaller pieces whenever I can just so they break down faster.

I'm sure there are lots of guidance on composting including compost ingredients on the Net. 'Recycle Now' campaign website should have something.
        Last edited by veg4681; 09-03-2008, 10:24 PM.
        Food for Free

Comment

Hi Sarah and welcome to the vine, the only think i would add to the above is horse manure, if there are any stables near you they are usualy happy to let you have it for free.
          Enjoy your growing and have a good season.

Comment

I 'drown' perennial weeds like nettles, bindweed etc in a barrel of water for a few months and then sling them on the compost heap. By that time they're not in a position to re-root themselves. You can use the strained off liquid as a feed for your plants too.
            Last edited by muckdiva; 09-03-2008, 10:52 PM.
            All at once I hear your voice
            And time just slips away
            Bonnie Raitt

Comment

I just put my tea bags and egg shells in as they are. (Bone blimmin' idle eh?) Mostly the tea bags have broken down by the end of the year. Sometimes you can still see identifiable egg shell but after a few months in the garden you can't see it any more. I bang the compost on, tickle it in with a fork and then I stop worrying about it!
              Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thank you all for your replies. I shall make sure we don't leave the tea bags and egg shells whole then and see how we get on.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X