Courgette recommendations

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Courgette recommendations

I’ve been growing golden glory F1 hybrid for the last couple of years and they have done well but thinking about a change and maybe trying a green type next year. Anyone have any recommendations?

Annie have a look at this thread to see what courgettes others are growing :-

https://growfruitandveg.co.uk/grapev...8-a_97007.html

I'm growing 5 varieties and my favourite are the round ones 'Tondo di Piacenza' and 'di nizza' both are green.
    Location....East Midlands.

Comment

^That's interesting, I didn't much go for Tondo di Nizza. All depends on tastes, I guess.

I grow Soleil (yellow) and Black Beauty (green). I have grown others but like these best. The Soleil seeds tend to be a bit expensive, but Black Beauty can be purchased from cheaper suppliers too.

Comment

I always grow yellow courgettes, I think they are firmer.
        I have problems with the virus that sends the leaves powdery.
        So got some virus resistance ones.
        I grew one resistant and one not in a grow bag.
        The resistant seems OK but as always the other has gone powdery.
        Orelia from TM was the resistant one.

Jimmy
        Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

I also grow tondo di nizza every year. One of my favourite.

Comment

I've had a phenomenal crop this year off cheap as chips "Zucchini" and "All Green Bush" - probably came as front of magazine freebies. I experimented starting some really early in January and its paid off. I'll stick with these next year.
            Striato di Italia (the stripey one) has not been very productive and I've stopped growing yellow ones as the skins mark and don't look appetising.
            Round ones are fiddly to slice so I've stopped growing those too.

Comment

For the last few years I've grown Astia that my mum bought from Wilko's in the end of season sale. It's dark green and I've been happy with it. This year I've also been growing Diamant from Lidl and it's a lighter green but still good too.

Comment

Try Round de Nice if you can get them, nice for stuffing.
                Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

I'm liking rond de nice this year. I also like romanesco and I did rather like striato di napoli. A neighbouring plotterer always grows All Green Bush which is very productive for them. Leaves the size of rhubarb leaves.

I personally dislike yellow ones as I think they're flavourless. :-/

Comment

I also like the rond de nice but I find that often there's been a rotten bit at the very end where the flower it attached. That's my only complaint, otherwise very nice.

Comment

I like variability - a mix of round and normal, yellow and green. A good plant for me is a plant that produces good size courgettes, not finger like things that rot without growing.
                      I've always been very happy with the most standard courgette (I believe bought as "zucchini" from B&Q).
                      This year I've been very happy with tondo di nizza. They are productive and you can harvest them small for pasta/grilling or large for stuffing/baking.
                      But unfortunately, they are not at all resistant to powdery mildew.
                      Any ideas for mildew resistant varieties?

Comment

We like Tondo di Nizza also. Number 1 daughter likes Zephyr for the coloured end so we've had those for a few years (also a nice firm yellow variety). This year we're trying Griller. Chubbier shape for slicing onto a BBQ, also different shades in the same pack. So far so good in terms of harvest, we're at the stage of people running away when they see us coming. I think it's courgette and Feta fritters tonight as a break from courgette soup and Ratatouille (or however one spells Rat-a-tooey).

Comment

Black beauty for green courgettes, Tondo di Piacenza if you want round ones, but I don't find it particularly prolific, but nice taste and texture. Yellow ones are definitely my favourites - all of the ones I've tried.
                          https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ooo I'd forgot all about Zephyr! I grew that one yes, and they were nice and quite prolific too!
                            https://nodigadventures.blogspot.com/

Comment

Re Orelia virus resistant.
                              See attached
                              Two courgettes in a grow bag.
                              One on left Orelia seems OK
                              One on right a normal golden zucchini completely devastated by powdery mildew.

Jimmy
                              Attached Files
                              Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X