This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by greenishfing View Post
    GI should think about making some mincemeat as well. I made Delia's recipe last year, but in the slow cooker, and was really pleased with it.
    Brilliant idea. Can you tell me more (especially timing and temperature)? I like Mary Berry's recipe with butter, but I presume the principles would be the same.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snoop Puss View Post

Brilliant idea. Can you tell me more (especially timing and temperature)? I like Mary Berry's recipe with butter, but I presume the principles would be the same.
      Last year I googled Delia, mincemeat, slow cooker and came up with this page on her website. Really you're just making sure all the apple and fruit is coated in fat which helps it keep longer.....not that it needed to last year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20240905_132751_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	188.5 KB
ID:	2584706

Comment

• I am freezing! I, stupidly, went off to the supermarket without a coat or jumper and with open sandals on my feet. My feet feel like ice blocks. I also, even more stupidly, forgot to buy any chocolate! Fortunately, I know there is a box hiding in the back of the fridge with a couple of chocolate flakes in. I think I originally bought them to use in 99s or sprinkle over chocolate cake or trifle.

I'm going to give in now and put the heating on.

Comment

• Thanks, GF. Will try that this year.

Not cold in the daytime here, but the night-time temperatures have really plummeted. I was saying to Mr Snoop this morning we need to think about bringing the woodburning stove into action. Ideally, it'd be the range but the chimney's not fully sorted yet. Hope you warm up, GF.

Comment

• It's chilly here too GF although Alexa is telling me it's 16 degrees. I was tempted to put the heating on, but have put on a cardigan instead.
            I think I've decided that I'm too nervous of traffic to start driving, but will keep the car for another year in the hope that Himself can be persuaded out of the house at some point. The tax and insurance are both due at the end of this month, so I'll bite the bullet and renew for the year. Decision made.
            Now, coffee and walnut cake anyone? You might need some cream on it, I was a bit heavy handed with the coffee in both the cake and the butter cream
            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Afternoon

Its still raining here.
              I got rather wet picking blackberries behind our shed, never mind we've now got 5 jars of seedless blackberry and apple jam. Next is dehydrating apples for winter.
              I've not been cold here yet the daytime house temperatures not gone below 20c surprising because it felt cold outside a few times.
              Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Bren In Pots do you use a dehydrator ? And how do you store and then use them?
                Northern England.

Comment

• Quite a windy day but no rain . Shop done and dog food.
                  Didn't get In the garden.
                  Bren the blackberries are only just forming and turning here
                  Cake yes please ff even more so that you were heavy handed
                  I've still.got a jar of mince meat in the fridge from.last Christmas not home made
                  Northern England.

Comment

• Morning
                    The sun is shining and forecast man says it is to be a lovely warm day magnums at the ready, though will have to do some work first before venturing outside.
                    Bbq tonight too.
                    Northern England.

Comment

• Morning all.

I've got one jar of mincemeat left. M&S, brought by a friend. Use-by date 2022 but who cares! Bound to be OK.

Always a relief when you've made a decision, Flo. One less thing to stress about..

The air is full of flying ants today. Presumably the rain has softened the ground enough for them to be released by their current nests. The ground is also a perfect texture for weeding. And having been so hard and dry, it's meant that weeds haven't been able to put down very deep roots. I had a very productive weeding session yesterday. Hoping for another today, Covid willing. Definitely showing signs today.

Right, got plenty to do before I come down good and proper. So better shake a leg.

Have a great day, everyone.

Comment

• Morning

It's supposed to be 23c here today I can't see that happening though.

Hair cut this morning then shopping on the way home.

Originally posted by Containergardener View Post
                        Bren In Pots do you use a dehydrator ? And how do you store and then use them?
                        CG I use a dehydrator along with a peeler corer cutting the apples the same thickness, the dried apples go in to jars. They mostly get used on porridge, baking or just eaten out of the jar.

Hope you don't feel too bad today Snoop.

Enjoy your day
                        Location....East Midlands.

Comment

• Good morning all.

A decent night's sleep and good weather forecast always cheer me up. I was seriously thinking of getting my boots out yesterday. I don't do shoes.....it's either boots or sandals, but with a high of 23°C forecast it seems unnecessary yet.

I'm thinking of making a small amount of Plum and mulled wine jam today. I'd seen the recipe and sent it to one of my sisters a while ago. She's made it and says although she's not a fan of plums or mulled wine the jam is lovely. She only made it because somebody gave her a lot of plums.

I'm just watching two big fat pigeons feasting on an elderberry bush. I've never seen them doing it before but these two are sat in it. I just hope they don't take off, fly over my car and leave pinky red bird muck all over it.

I'm going to go see my brother in law this morning. I've got some shopping for him. He was moaning yesterday that he's got a freezer full of ice creams and it feels like Winter. I told him to put his heating on and pretend it was Summer. He had to remind me....... it actually still is!

Snoop, I hope you recover quickly.
                          Last edited by greenishfing; 06-09-2024, 08:59 AM.

Comment

• Good Morning All Same weather here Bren. Hope you're feeling ok Snoop. Have a good day
                            Granny on the Game in Sheffield

Comment

• Good morning all..The sun is trying to come out.

Snoop, look after yourself and hope you feel better soon.

Lots of bits and Bob's to do today, hoping to have them done by lunch time.
                              Then an afternoon in the garden.

GF, cinnemon goes nicely in plum and mulled wine if you fancy it.

Have a good day all,

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by bramble View Post

GF, cinnemon goes nicely in plum and mulled wine if you fancy it.
                                Bramble, I'm going to tie cinnamon and cloves in muslin I think.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X